|Equal Pay Coalition Ontario||What is Equal Pay Day?||Equal Pay April 11 2017||News/Reports|
BPW Ontario is a founding member of the Equal Pay Coalition.
"The Equal Pay Coalition was formed in 1976 as a coalition of organizations to seek the implementation of equal pay for work of equal value both through legislation and collective bargaining. The Coalition has over 39 constituent and partner groups which represent Ontario women and men who support equal pay for work of equal value."
"Equal Pay Day illustrates how far into the next year a woman, on average, must work to earn the same amount a man made in the previous year.
They are marked around the world."
The Equal Pay Coalition's goal is a 0% gender wage by 2025. The coaliton has outlined the 12 steps to achieve this goal.
Equal Pay Day Events
|North Toronto BPW President Linda Rice and North Toronto BPW member Hatice Yazar at the Queen's Park Equal Pay Day Rally.||BPW London member and 1st VP of BPW Canada, Linda Davis, & friends at Pay Equity Awareness table on Equal Pay Day at Fanshawe College.|
Below is a list of some Equal Pay Day events held on April 11, 2017.
- Corner of College and University at 12:00 NOON: speeches and a rally. Participants were encouraged to wear red, because discriminatory pay gaps keep women “in the red”.
- Queen’s Park Gallery at 2:30pm - MPPs discussed Equal Pay Day.
- Pay Equity Awareness table set up at Fanshawe College: informational flyers and an equal pay temporary tattoo were distributed. Table was hosted by BPW London and OPSEU local 109.
- Lunch time rally in front of Yasir Naqvi’s office at 109 Catherine Street, 12:00 noon.
- PSAC 901, Queen’s University Equity Office, Queen’s University Faculty Association (QUFA), United Steelworkers 2010, and the Alma Mater Society (AMS) in front of Stauffer Library on the corner of University Avenue and Union Street, from 10:00am to 2:00pm. Free doughnut-holes (for the women) and doughnuts (for the men), along with buttons to show your solidarity were given out.
Click here to review the Ontario's Equal Pay Day Coalition's Action Kit.
August 25, 2016: News Release: Ontario Moving Forward to Close the Gender Wage Gap. "The Ontario government has released the final report from the Gender Wage Gap Steering Committee and will immediately start work on a plan to close the gap, create equal opportunities for prosperity and strengthen the economy by eliminating barriers that prevent women's full participation in the workforce." Thank you to BPW Ontario Past President/First VP BPW Canada, Linda Davis, for all her efforts on the Gender Wage Gap Steering Committee.
April 2016: Report: Every Step You Take: Ontario's Gender Pay Gap Ladder. Published by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives’ Ontario Office (CCPA - Ontario Office), author Mary Cornish, Research Associate for CCPA - Ontario Office and Chair of the Equal Pay Coaltion.
April 20, 2015: Linda Davis, BPW Ontario's Past Presdient, was apppointed to Ontario's government new Gender Wage Gap Steering Committee. Click here to read the annoucement.
April 2014: BPW spreads the news about the wage gap - click here to read the article about a Equal Pay 2014 gathering in London, Ontario.