|Sub-Category:||POLITICAL - MUNICIPAL ACT AMENDMENTS|
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Business and Professional Women's Clubs of Ontario petition the Government of the Province of Ontario to amend "The Municipal Elections Act 1972" as follows:
- by deleting subsection (1)(a) of Section 34 and substituting therefore the
shall be signed by at least ten electors whose names are entered in the polling lists of electors entitled to vote in an election to such office whenever there are fewer than fifteen thousand duly qualified electors in the municipality or locality where the election is to be held, or
(ii) shall be signed by at least fifty electors whose names are entered on the polling lists of electors entitled to vote in an election to such office whenever there are fifteen thousand or more duly qualified electors in the municipality or locality where the election is to be held.
- by adding subsections (8) and (9) to Section 34 as follows:
(8) Each person nominated for election to an office in a municipality or locality where there are fifteen thousand or more duly qualified electors shall hand to the Clerk a deposit of $200.00 in legal tender or a certified cheque for that amount made payable to the Clerk of the municipality or locality at the time the nomination paper is filed.
(9) The amount deposited by a candidate pursuant to subsection 8 of Section 34 shall,
(a) where the candidate is elected, or obtains at least one half of the number of votes polled in favour of the elected candidate, be returned to the candidate.
(b) where the candidate dies before closing of the poll, be returned to the person representative of the candidate or to such other person as may be determined by the Clerk and
(c) in any other event be retained for the public use of the municipality or locality.
- by deleting subsection 2 of Section 101 and substituting therefore the following:
(2) The onus of showing that the personal expenses paid by the candidate were fair, reasonable and proper and not in excess of what is ordinarily paid for similar services and accommodations is upon the candidate.
- by adding subsections (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) and (9) to Section 101:
(4) A candidate may appoint an official agent whose name and address shall be declared in writing to the Clerk on or before Nomination Day.
If an official agent is appointed no payment, except with respect to the personal expenses of the candidate, and no loan, advance or deposit shall be made by or on behalf of the candidate before, during or after the election, on account of the election, otherwise than through his official agent.
(5)A detailed statement of all money received as election contributions, payments, loans, gifts, advances or deposits and a detailed statement of all election expenses incurred by or on behalf of an elected candidate, including payments in respect of his personal expenses shall within three months after the election or where, by reason of the death of a creditor, no claim has been sent in within such period of three months then within one month after the claim has been sent in, be made out and signed by each elected candidate in the case of payments made by him, or by his official agent who has made the payments on behalf of the candidate, and delivered with the bills and vouchers relating thereto, to the Clerk.
(6)The Clerk within fourteen days after receiving the statements shall publish at the expense of the elected candidate an abstract thereof in a newspaper published or circulated in the municipality or locality in which the election was held.
(7)The Clerk shall preserve all such statements and vouchers, and shall during the six months next after they have been delivered to him, permit any voter to inspect them on payment of a fee of 25 cents.
(8)Every elected candidate or his appointed official agent who makes default in delivering the statements required in subsection (5) of Section 101 to the Clerk is guilty of an offense, and on summary conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $500.00 and not more than $1,000.00.
©BPW Ontario www.bpwontario.com
Article ID: 3962