BPW Canada and Courage for Freedom are working on this national campaign along with other concerned people. The campaign follows last year's huge success of the #ProjectMapleLeaf campaign in Ontario. Over 1600 Ontarians celebrated with us on July 30, 2019. This historic event caught the attention of politicians and Ontario now has an Anti-human Trafficking Strategy. The success of the campaign is dependent on getting the word out. This is part of what BPW Canada members can help with. Just think what can happen in Canada.
- Evidence suggests over 90% of Canada’s trafficking victims come from within Canada’s borders.
- Canada has become a hotbed for human sex trafficking of minor-aged children. 60% of all of Canada’s human trafficking can be linked in some way to activities that occur along the 401 corridor. The 401 corridor is considered the ‘gateway’ to communities. In 2016, the rate of human trafficking in Ontario was more than one and a half times the national rate.
- According to police-reported data collected between 2009 and 2016, 72% of victims of human trafficking were under 25 years of age.
- In Canada, a 2013 RCMP study reported the victims of all domestic sex trafficking cases prosecuted in Canada between 2007 and 2013 have been female.
- On February 22, 2019, Human Trafficking Awareness Day, #ProjectONroute was launched, a historic provincial human trafficking awareness campaign. #ProjectONroute was inspired by a 16-year-old survivor of sex trafficking who wanted to change the way victims of trafficking were portrayed in the media. In 2020, the campaign expanded across the Nation and rebranded as #ProjectMapleLeaf.
Join the #EradicateChallenge
Add your voice to ours by joining the #EradicateChallenge.
- Download the sign to hold or post on social media.
- Read this statement on video or add the text in your social media post.
"I (your name) want to end the buying and selling of girls, boys and children in Canada (Globally). I challenge (5 friends/family names tagged) to join me and take the #EradicateChallenge."
- Post to your social media to #AddYourVoice/join the #ProjectMapleLeaf movement and pass the sign. Include hashtags: #EradicateChallenge, #ProjectMapleLeaf, #AddYourVoice, #BPWOntario, #CanadaBPW
Join the movement. Together we can raise awareness and eradicate human trafficking.
Petition - Protecting Young Persons from Exposure to Pornography Act
BPW Ontario and BPW Canada encourages you to sign a petition to the House of Commons regarding Bill S-203, Protecting Young Persons from Exposure to Pornography Act. Click here for partial background information about the Bill for your consideration. The petition closes February 4 2021.
Join the #ProjectMapleLeaf Campaign: Click here and this will make sure you stay informed.
BPW Canada Human Trafficking Ad-Hoc Committee Chair
#ProjectMapleLeaf Project Lead
President, BPW Ontario